You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover keychain

I used migration assistant to move to a new mac. The first thing I noticed is that the keychain passwords did not transfer.

How do I recover the keychain passwords?

On the time machine drive, I went to Macintosh HD - Data > Library > Keychains. And then on the new mac, I went to keychain access, and added each keychain one by one. But there is no change.

Then on the time machine drive, I can go to Users > Me > Library , there is nothing in that Library folder. The folder has a red circle with a minus sign in the circle. What does that mean? Does it mean Time Machine didn't back it up?

Its very strange because Users > Me > Desktop also has the red circle with the dash and nothing is inside it. Yet - Migration Assistant did migrate lots of desktop folders and items. SO what is going on?

Note: I'm using Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 10:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 11:51 AM

By the way, I had another problem with keychain when doing another migration. I couldn't sign into icloud properly. I was on the phone with apple for a long time. I had to wipe the computer a couple times and migrate data.

In the end, I got it fixed. There were 2 things that may have fixed it. Hopefully this info helps those who may have a similar issue.

The 2 things i did before it suddenly worked:

#1: was resetting the NVRAM.

#2: I made sure that the new computer I was migrating to had a different unlocking password than the computer I had migrated from.

I think #2 helped because on previous tries, the Mac would prompt me for the password for my other Mac that was connected to icloud. And so I would type it in, but the mac would say "no that is your password for THIS computer ... you need to type in the password for the other mac" or something similar. And so I think it got confused because the passwords were the same.

So try those 2 things if you have trouble signing into icloud after using a time machine backup to migrate to a new computer.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 15, 2021 11:51 AM in response to BDAqua

By the way, I had another problem with keychain when doing another migration. I couldn't sign into icloud properly. I was on the phone with apple for a long time. I had to wipe the computer a couple times and migrate data.

In the end, I got it fixed. There were 2 things that may have fixed it. Hopefully this info helps those who may have a similar issue.

The 2 things i did before it suddenly worked:

#1: was resetting the NVRAM.

#2: I made sure that the new computer I was migrating to had a different unlocking password than the computer I had migrated from.

I think #2 helped because on previous tries, the Mac would prompt me for the password for my other Mac that was connected to icloud. And so I would type it in, but the mac would say "no that is your password for THIS computer ... you need to type in the password for the other mac" or something similar. And so I think it got confused because the passwords were the same.

So try those 2 things if you have trouble signing into icloud after using a time machine backup to migrate to a new computer.

Dec 6, 2020 2:26 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok I have chosen yesterday to inherit the backups. However, the drive has been "Preparing..." to do a back up ever since then and has not completed a backup even though it has been Preparing for 10 straight hours.

Perhaps it has run out of space. I saw that it says 100GB available. Though I am certain that the previous mac's backup was around 1.35TB in size, and so there should be 0.65TB left (650GB). Not sure what's going on there.

I'll try to let it finish Preparing and do a backup. Once that is done, should I be able to finally access those folders that I don't have access to?

How to recover keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.