You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina OS crash - what do I do?

Hello. I'm on a MacBook Pro (2014) where I made a Bootcamp partition for Windows after installing Catalina about a month ago. Today while on the Mac OS the computer abruptly shut down. When I turned it on again it went straight to Windows and I cannot get it to reboot in Mac OS.

In Windows if I go to Bootcamp settings (Start up your Mac in Windows or macOS with Boot Camp - Apple Support) there is only the Windows option displayed, no Mac OS, suggesting something has gone wrong with the OS. I can still use the computer but in Windows only. How do I fix the Mac partition which I normally use 90 percent of the time and which has files i need?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 10:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 12:49 PM

mashant wrote:

Hello. I'm on a MacBook Pro (2014) where I made a Bootcamp partition for Windows after installing Catalina about a month ago. Today while on the Mac OS the computer abruptly shut down. When I turned it on again it went straight to Windows and I cannot get it to reboot in Mac OS.

In Windows if I go to Bootcamp settings (Start up your Mac in Windows or macOS with Boot Camp - Apple Support) there is only the Windows option displayed, no Mac OS, suggesting something has gone wrong with the OS. I can still use the computer but in Windows only. How do I fix the Mac partition which I normally use 90 percent of the time and which has files i need?

Hold the Option key on start up and see if you can select the Macintosh HD from the start up manager.

How to select a different startup disk - Apple Support

If this is not possible—

Boot into Internet Recovery (Option Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

• Volume level

• Container level

• Parent drive

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

If no resolve You can also restore form backup—

—How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 8, 2020 12:49 PM in response to mashant

mashant wrote:

Hold the Option key on start up and see if you can select the Macintosh HD from the start up manager.

How to select a different startup disk - Apple Support

If this is not possible—

Boot into Internet Recovery (Option Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

• Volume level

• Container level

• Parent drive

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

If no resolve You can also restore form backup—

—How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Catalina OS crash - what do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.