You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro 15 2017 is stuck in an update loop after attempting to install the Big Sur update, how do I fix this?

My Macbook Pro 15 2017 is stuck in an update loop after attempting to install the Big Sur update, how do I fix this?

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 11:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 12:07 PM

PhillipFler wrote:

Verify you have sufficient storage space for the install...

Big Sur—Press release states that you will need 35.5 GB of free storage when upgrading from High Sierra or newer, and 44.5 GB when upgrading from an older versions.

if that is not your issue try a Safe Boot— and launch the installer form there.

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 8, 2020 12:07 PM in response to PhillipFler

PhillipFler wrote:

Verify you have sufficient storage space for the install...

Big Sur—Press release states that you will need 35.5 GB of free storage when upgrading from High Sierra or newer, and 44.5 GB when upgrading from an older versions.

if that is not your issue try a Safe Boot— and launch the installer form there.

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.