You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have two Macs. One won't start. Can I use the working machine to make a startup disk

is it possible to make a startup disk from my iMac. I have one computer working and the other one won't start.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 9:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 9:00 PM

Perhaps. Is the macOS USB installer you want to make a version of macOS that will actually run on the iMac? Unfortunately Apple doesn't have an OS or hardware independent method of creating a bootable macOS USB installer. Here is an Apple article for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If the Mac that won't start has had macOS 10.12.6+ installed at some point in its life, then you may be able to boot into Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to bypass the local recovery partition to access the online macOS installer:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 9, 2020 9:00 PM in response to alicefrommorris

Perhaps. Is the macOS USB installer you want to make a version of macOS that will actually run on the iMac? Unfortunately Apple doesn't have an OS or hardware independent method of creating a bootable macOS USB installer. Here is an Apple article for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If the Mac that won't start has had macOS 10.12.6+ installed at some point in its life, then you may be able to boot into Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to bypass the local recovery partition to access the online macOS installer:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

I have two Macs. One won't start. Can I use the working machine to make a startup disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.