You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Menu bar cut off on right of display, both with and without external monitor connected

With Mac OS Big Sur 11.0.1 (on the new 2020 Mac Air with new processor), I am experiencing a screen resolution problem.

• Immediately after reboot it is OK, but after connecting to a USB-C Sony 4k TV (extension not mirror), the resolution of my primary (laptop) monitor gets reset to a value that is too big for the screen.
  • Connecting or reconnecting or unplugging the external monitor has no effect on the laptop screen.
  • I have already tried 'default for display' and the various 'scaled' options, but it appears that Big Sur annoyingly doesn't allow you access to manually setting resolutions any more.
  • Rebooting the Mac Air solves the resolution problem until I plug in the external monitor again.

Anything I can do?

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 10:14 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Dec 9, 2020 10:16 AM in response to Jeff Axup

Additional details:

• The bottom "tray" of applications for the OS is also "off the viewable" area on the screen, which makes this a serious usability problem.
  • It appears that the chosen resolution is not mapping to the physical viewable area of the display.
  • Even 'Moom' thinks the 'full screen mode' is an area that is off the viewable area on the screen.

Menu bar cut off on right of display, both with and without external monitor connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.