You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the Canon EOS 700D compatible with iMovie?

Good evening all,

I have a canon EOS 700D which does not appear in the list of cameras compatible with iMovie. I have tried to access a short movie taken on my camera but it is greyed out when I try to access it in iMovie. Should I give up trying to get things to work together or is there a work-around that someone can pass on to me?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Kind regards

Chris Kilroy

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 3:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 4:28 PM

HI,

I looked on Apple's website list of supported cameras. I did not see the Canon EOS 700D (also known as the T5i) listed as a supported camera. Here's the link so you can confirm for yourself:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204202

However, just because it is not listed doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work in iMovie. You would need to compare

the specs of the Canon EOS700D with the other Canons cameras that are on the approved list. Any photos from a camera that can create a photo in jpeg, TIFF, or PNG formats can be used in iMovie. Likewise videos from any camera that can create a video in Mp4, .mov (in most formats), M4v, AVCHD (might need converting) can be used in iMovie.

-- Rich

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 9, 2020 4:28 PM in response to Chris Kilroy

HI,

I looked on Apple's website list of supported cameras. I did not see the Canon EOS 700D (also known as the T5i) listed as a supported camera. Here's the link so you can confirm for yourself:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204202

However, just because it is not listed doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work in iMovie. You would need to compare

the specs of the Canon EOS700D with the other Canons cameras that are on the approved list. Any photos from a camera that can create a photo in jpeg, TIFF, or PNG formats can be used in iMovie. Likewise videos from any camera that can create a video in Mp4, .mov (in most formats), M4v, AVCHD (might need converting) can be used in iMovie.

-- Rich

Dec 15, 2020 1:53 AM in response to Rich839

It seems a bit odd that the files don't show up, Rich?

Looks as though there may be a problem with iMovie . . . might be worth deleting the preferences.

Chris: If  iMovie starts behaving unexpectedly in any way for no apparent reason, the problem could be caused by corrupt preference files. 

The cure for this is to delete the preferences. 

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch  iMovie and this window will appear.

Click “Delete Preferences” and  iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with no projects etc. on the interface. 

You will have to navigate to any project you were working on and reopen it.  Your project libraries by default are stored in your Movies folder unless you have specified somewhere different.

If this doesn't cure the problem try dragging the video file onto the iMovie timeline as Rich suggested.

Dec 28, 2020 11:10 AM in response to Rich839

Good evening,

As a result of my recent adventures I notice that the camera shows up above Webcam Utility

Screenshot attached.

My EOS 700D works OK with Zoom.

I have connected the camera by USB to my late 2012 Mac running Catalina 10.15.7.

In iMovie 10.2.2 both the camera and the Webcam Utility are listed so IMovie can see both.

However, alongside the camera there is a small white disc rotating clockwise as if efforts are being made to do something, but not getting there.

A screenshot is attached.

In theory should my camera work with iMovie and record video?

If so what actions must I take to navigate around the current problem?

Kind regards

Chris

Dec 27, 2020 7:27 AM in response to Rich839

Good afternoon all,

I have spent a good few hours following suggestions online about creating a new Library, designating it, and then going back and re-designating the original intended Library. I have removed iMovie and re-installed. The Drag and Drop was a good work-around, but it niggled me because I was sure that it was something simple, and that it traced back to a small error on my part. The lightbulb moment came when I switched on my wife's MacBook. It is quite new and she had not opened iMovie. I opened it and it accessed the Photos Library. I noted that iMovies had asked for permission to access Photos, which I gave. It occurred to me that on the Mac iMovies may not have such permission. This question did not come up when I re-installed iMovies. I did a bit of research which led me to Privacy in Settings. Unlocked and selected Photos. It was not ticked! It now is. Locked-up. Photos is now visible in iMovie. I am most grateful for the responses that I have received. I will certainly use this facility again.

Kind Regard

Chris

Is the Canon EOS 700D compatible with iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.