You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update to Big Sur after transfer onto an external hard drive. What now?

I'm trying to update to Big Sur. I used an external hard drive to give me more storage space - but it still tells me that I need more storage. What now?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 6:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 7:37 AM

Have a Look over there to see what is using the space on your Internal Drive. If you have a lot of music, pictures, movies and pictures on the drive they can be moved to External Drive and then deleted for the computer.

Do read Apple Specifications on what is required for upgrade to Big Sur Special Attention to compatible computers and Empty Space Requirements for successful installation.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 10, 2020 7:37 AM in response to lnovack1

Have a Look over there to see what is using the space on your Internal Drive. If you have a lot of music, pictures, movies and pictures on the drive they can be moved to External Drive and then deleted for the computer.

Do read Apple Specifications on what is required for upgrade to Big Sur Special Attention to compatible computers and Empty Space Requirements for successful installation.

Can't update to Big Sur after transfer onto an external hard drive. What now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.