You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selling a mac

So I recently sold my 2013 imac running Catalina. I followed Apple's step by step guide here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201065

After deleting everything and reinstalling, it all came up, I made a new user account for the person I was selling it to and all was good. However, the person I sold it to is contacting me saying they cannot login with their apple ID and see the below screen. How do I resolve this and hopefully this is something that can be done remotely. The imac does not appear in my devices any longer.

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 6:15 AM

6 replies

Dec 12, 2020 6:44 AM in response to padams35

But it is asking for Admins Mac Mini which is the confusing part. So just some context on the steps I did:

• got a new mac mini which I restored from an imac backup
  • once I confirmed all was good on the mac mini, I followed the apple guide to reset the imac
  • just to be sure what I was selling wouldn't lock them out, I went in and created a user with say 'tom' with password 'tom123'
  • it seems to be asking for the password of the mini (the new device) but are you saying it should simply be 'tom123'? It seems strange either way since I followed the removal steps from apple and if it is the tom123 password then why is it even needed, the person used that to login!

Appreciate the help, feel a bit bad that this happened.

Dec 12, 2020 6:57 AM in response to mola2alex

Yes, I am saying it should simply be in this example 'tom123'. Its need for the same reason you have to re-enter the password when clicking the 'padlock' to make changes to some system preferences like Security & Privacy. Maybe you let somebody else use your mac. Maybe automatic login was enabled. And also because Catalina tries even harder to protect users from themselves than Mojave.

Selling a mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.