You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud suddenly downloaded all files without me doing anything. How to reverse?

Last night I had 79 GB of space on my 2016 MBP with Big Sur. As I'm reading the news this morning before doing anything else on my Mac I get a notice that I'm almost out of storage. I was down to around 50 MB and declining. I went to About This Mac / Storage / Manage and clicked the Manage button. Then I clicked the Store In iCloud and checked both buttons. That clawed back a bit over 3 GB so at least the computer can operate but I want all my files in iCloud except the very few I use now. How do I get there again?

This mess did not occur on my 2020 Mac Mini M1 with Big Sur.

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 10:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 6:09 PM

The problem solved when I emptied my trash. I didn't look in the trash before I emptied it unfortunately. I only deleted a few dmg files for upgrading apps recently so it should have emptied fast.. I started the empty trash routine and moved to other desktops. A long while later the trash emptied. There is no way I put that much in trash. The Documents folder in iCloud was 130 GB when I posted this question and now it is 9 GB, what it was before this all started. So I'm assuming that the optimization took all the files that iCloud mysteriously downloaded and put them in trash.

Now I have even more free storage, 100 GB out of a 256 flash drive. Should be enough cushion :-)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 13, 2020 6:09 PM in response to caljim

The problem solved when I emptied my trash. I didn't look in the trash before I emptied it unfortunately. I only deleted a few dmg files for upgrading apps recently so it should have emptied fast.. I started the empty trash routine and moved to other desktops. A long while later the trash emptied. There is no way I put that much in trash. The Documents folder in iCloud was 130 GB when I posted this question and now it is 9 GB, what it was before this all started. So I'm assuming that the optimization took all the files that iCloud mysteriously downloaded and put them in trash.

Now I have even more free storage, 100 GB out of a 256 flash drive. Should be enough cushion :-)

iCloud suddenly downloaded all files without me doing anything. How to reverse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.