You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add gmail account to mail

Looks like I have the same problem as described in this thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250646617?login=true

I am not able to add it to my iPhone and iPad. The add account process does not show any error.

Although, I can add a gmail account to my Mac it does not sync.

Initially there was a problem with IMAP shown. As I was not able to synchronise the account I decided to remove it and add it again. IMAP is enabled in google. I have also tried different options for authentication. The authentication process is working fine. I suspect this is a problem with IMAP root folder.

Other google accounts (@google.com) are working fine on all my devices.

Thanks.

iPhone 6s, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 12:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 2:41 AM

Thanks for the hint. I have been using Mail app with gmail and other maila servers since Iphone 2. There were problems too.

Luckily, things started working back again. Strange. I managed to remove nordVPN from the iPad but I do not think this step solved the problem.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2020 2:41 AM in response to LD150

Thanks for the hint. I have been using Mail app with gmail and other maila servers since Iphone 2. There were problems too.

Luckily, things started working back again. Strange. I managed to remove nordVPN from the iPad but I do not think this step solved the problem.

Dec 14, 2020 1:43 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I do not think this is a problem with the authentication. I have google 2 step verification enabled. The adding account process passes this step successfully but when configuring the account it drops the connection. Even if I generate the password for an app passwords - I cannot use it as there is no account to edit.

It may be a problem with google. I have just tried to configure the account on another iPhone not associated with my Apple ID. Same problem - cannot add the account.

Thanks.

Cannot add gmail account to mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.