You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kernel_task spike when using external monitor

Macbook Pro 2018 with High Sierra

External monitor DELL s2817Q

Connected via DP to USB-C and HDMI, also tried some hdmi hubs.

Randomly the laptop struggle and I see that the process 'kernel_task' goes way up and unless I turn off the display or unplug it it remains like that.

I tried to connect the display on all 4 ports with no change, at some point it happens.

What is more weird is that in some cases (does not work all the times) if I unplug the power also fix the issue. (I also tried to move the power on all 4 ports).

I did a SMC and NVRAM reset already but that didn't work so at this point I bet on faulty USB ports... (all 4??).. if anyone have any advice, i'm all ears.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 5:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 9:55 AM

I've only sen 1 similar post, & I believe it was also a Dell Monitor, & if I remember correctly it needed a Firmware Update.

Similar questions

3 replies

kernel_task spike when using external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.