You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"PHOTOS" can't be opened because original item can't be found

Running a 2019 MacBook Pro - Big Sur 11.1 (most recent update). I get the following msg in finder when I select photos from the sidebar:

"PHOTOS" can't be opened because the original item can't be found.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 2:43 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 15, 2020 2:59 PM in response to Farseer1952

Do you mean the Dock, or do you have an alias in the Sidebar? --I don't know how that is possible.

Open a Finder window and open the Applications folder (cmd-shift-A).

Look for Photos and double-click to open it.

For the Dock…

If that opens, drag the old alias out of the Dock and hold until you see the "Remove" label appear--drop it.

Drag the open Photos icon from where it is in the Dock to where you would like to have it in the Dock. Make sure the other icons move out of the way, then drop the icon in place.

If you had an alias somewhere else, please explain exactly where and I'll try to give instructions on how to update that alias.

Dec 15, 2020 9:55 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hello, thank you for the rapid reply. Finder has a sidebar that includes a set of links (alias's) to a set of favourites that includes Applications, OneDrive ect. There was an alias to PHOTOS which is an Apple app that houses all my photos. I can see the app in the Applications folder, I would like to place an alias link in the Finder sidebar to this PHOTOS app. No big deal if not possible - just saves me one more step. Thank you

"PHOTOS" can't be opened because original item can't be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.