You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Altering MIDI piano Velocities

How can I increase the velocity of every note in a MIDI piece all at once, rather than having to do it note by note? This question was asked and answered in 2007, but I'm unable to apply that answer to Logic Pro X 10.5.1. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 10:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 2:52 AM

With all four methods??

The ones involving the piano roll also involve selecting all notes first. The ones in the inspector do not. But the ones in the inspectors just add the velocities "afterwards", so in the editors the values do not visually change, you have to listen for it. But with the piano roll methods, they do also change visually.

However, if amongst your selected notes there are already notes of velocity 127, they will not change, and the rest will also "stick", they hit a ceiling. With the cmd-ctrl method, you have to also press the option key while already dragging to avoid this "ceiling". Same goes for downwards change: as soon as one of the notes reaches 1, the rest will not go down either, and you have to add the option key to overrule that.

Another way to avoid this is to simply deselect notes that are already at 127 or 1. This means that the highest velocity note will determine the ceiling, so if the highest note is at 120 for example, you can only drag all notes up 7 values (unless of course you use the option key as described).

If you do the added option key, the disadvantage is that you are losing the relative velocities of the notes, so you will effectively alter the dynamics.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 17, 2020 2:52 AM in response to stjana

With all four methods??

The ones involving the piano roll also involve selecting all notes first. The ones in the inspector do not. But the ones in the inspectors just add the velocities "afterwards", so in the editors the values do not visually change, you have to listen for it. But with the piano roll methods, they do also change visually.

However, if amongst your selected notes there are already notes of velocity 127, they will not change, and the rest will also "stick", they hit a ceiling. With the cmd-ctrl method, you have to also press the option key while already dragging to avoid this "ceiling". Same goes for downwards change: as soon as one of the notes reaches 1, the rest will not go down either, and you have to add the option key to overrule that.

Another way to avoid this is to simply deselect notes that are already at 127 or 1. This means that the highest velocity note will determine the ceiling, so if the highest note is at 120 for example, you can only drag all notes up 7 values (unless of course you use the option key as described).

If you do the added option key, the disadvantage is that you are losing the relative velocities of the notes, so you will effectively alter the dynamics.

Dec 17, 2020 11:45 PM in response to yoyoBen

My intention is to alter the velocity in order to change the timbre of the piano, which of course will additionally alter the volume; and I will re-adjust the volume if that becomes necessary. Regarding what I did, I simply attempted to follow the instructions I received on the forum, but saw no change in the velocity numbers.

Dec 17, 2020 11:55 PM in response to Eriksimon

Got it, thanks! I want to see the velocity numbers, so the piano roll method is best. I guess I was missing the velocity change in the other methods because I was looking for the numbers change. Man, if only I had joined the forum long ago. The hours I would have saved! Oh well, I finally made it! Thanks again!

Altering MIDI piano Velocities

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.