You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using imac late 2019 as a secondary monitor for my PC

I cannot seem to get my imac into target display mode. I seem to have met all the necessary criteria. I have a:

• imac 27inch late 2013 w/thunderbolt 2
  • running high sierra 10.13
  • thunderbolt 2 cable (from apple)
  • thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter (from apple)
  • a PC (Dell xps 9500) w/ two thunderbolt 3 ports

From what I have read online the imac should be able to go into 'target display mode' regardless of the OS on the primary device. "Cmd+f2" nor "Cmd+fn+f2" doesn't seem to work, whether it's on the login screen, post-log-in screen or even pre-boot.

I have a feeling that it doesn't actually work with a PC? Does anybody know what might be going on here?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 4:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 7:09 AM

I have a feeling that it doesn't actually work with a PC?

Trust your feelings.

Target Display Mode was never intended to work except for Mac-to-Mac. Someone accidentally discovered that some 27-inch iMacs from 2009 and 2010 would work as monitors for a non-Apple device but that was never intended or support by Apple.

Apple started the deprecation of TDM in 2014 and threw the last shovel of dirt on its grave early this year. And 2019 iMacs never supported TDM. Note the very limited sub-set of TDM-capable iMacs in this Apple support article, now archived:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Even if you found a working 2009-2010 iMac, you are on your own without official support. Somewhat like accidentally finding that a Maserati engine will fit your riding mower, Neither Maserati not John Deere are going to help if you run into trouble.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 16, 2020 7:09 AM in response to Benji_sir

I have a feeling that it doesn't actually work with a PC?

Trust your feelings.

Target Display Mode was never intended to work except for Mac-to-Mac. Someone accidentally discovered that some 27-inch iMacs from 2009 and 2010 would work as monitors for a non-Apple device but that was never intended or support by Apple.

Apple started the deprecation of TDM in 2014 and threw the last shovel of dirt on its grave early this year. And 2019 iMacs never supported TDM. Note the very limited sub-set of TDM-capable iMacs in this Apple support article, now archived:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Even if you found a working 2009-2010 iMac, you are on your own without official support. Somewhat like accidentally finding that a Maserati engine will fit your riding mower, Neither Maserati not John Deere are going to help if you run into trouble.

Using imac late 2019 as a secondary monitor for my PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.