You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting external screens to macbook air

Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Air 2017 and have two HP E233 external screens. I also have a StarTech hub. Is it possible to use the hub and either the 2 x USB or 1 x Thunderbolt 2 (or a combination of both) to connect them and off so what do I need?

Thanks in advance for any help

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 5:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 6:01 AM

I also have a 2017 MacBook Air and it only accepts a single screen hooked up to the Thunderbolt 2 Port. That's also what Apple says the Air supports. I have a 1080p screen hooked up through a minidisplay to HDMI converter cable.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP753?viewlocale=en_US&locale=nl_NL

Graphics

• Intel HD Graphics 6000

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz on an external display, both at millions of colors

• Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and dual-link DVI output using adapters (sold separately)

So 2 screens at the same time isn't going to work (only the built in screen and 1 external).

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 16, 2020 6:01 AM in response to notageek01

I also have a 2017 MacBook Air and it only accepts a single screen hooked up to the Thunderbolt 2 Port. That's also what Apple says the Air supports. I have a 1080p screen hooked up through a minidisplay to HDMI converter cable.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP753?viewlocale=en_US&locale=nl_NL

Graphics

• Intel HD Graphics 6000

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz on an external display, both at millions of colors

• Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and dual-link DVI output using adapters (sold separately)

So 2 screens at the same time isn't going to work (only the built in screen and 1 external).

connecting external screens to macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.