You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't startup from external USB SSD

After recent system security update, late 2013 imac 27" running 10.14.6 won't recognize external USB startup SSD drive. I've tried setting the drive as startup drive and restarting holding the option key down but the SSD is not recognized. Once the mac starts up from the internal HD, the SSD appears on the desktop. This mac has been running from the external SSD for a long time prior to the most recent update. Drive seems to function properly, but imac refuses to recognize it on start up. External SSD drive is formatted APFS. Internal HD is GUID. I can't update the OS any further because this computer must run several older applications that won't work in 10.15.

I have tried 3 different SSDs - same problem for all. The other 2013 27" imac we have also reverted to the internal HD after the security update, but I was able to get it to recognize the SSD with option key held down on reboot then reset the SSD as startup drive.

I'm at wits end and have wasted 2 days fighting this problem after installing what appeared to be a harmless update. Any help is greatly appreciated.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 6:12 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 17, 2020 2:38 PM in response to den.thed

Running disk utility from recovery mode was no help. I have the external SSD set as the startup drive in system prefs. I have since tried 4 other external drives that will work as a startup drive on other computers, but are not recognized by this imac after the system update. The drives all work fine to start up other macs. I have tried drives on all of the USB ports with no difference. As soon as the imac start's up, any of the drives are recognized and function properly, I just can't startup from them.

Prior to installing system update 2020-007, this imac had been starting up from the external SSD just fine for the last couple of years. Upon restart as part of the system update installation, the imac reverted to starting from the internal (now backup) drive and will not recognize an external drive until after startup. The external SSD is still showing as the startup drive in system preferences. Upon trying to restart the computer holding down the option key, no external drive appears, only the internal HD and the recovery partition.

I have of course tried resetting NVRAM & SMC with no effect.

I'm at a loss.

Dec 26, 2020 7:14 PM in response to Kerry Kinkade

We have almost exactly the same setup with our late 2013 iMac and have tried all the same suggestions...resetting NVRAM, starting in recovery mode....we did find that the external showed up if we had unplugged it before starting in recovery mode and then plugging it it...it was recognized and selected, but wouldn't boot and defaulted once again to the internal macHD.

I've seen elsewhere on the net several mentions of the late 2013s being affected by this security update. Also looking impatiently for a resolution.

Feb 2, 2021 3:30 PM in response to Blubird

I‘ve just made the same experience with two different external USB SSDs. If any was plugged in on start or restart the selection menu for startup disk would not appear (option key ignored) and after quite some delay (much more than usual) it booted from internal HDD.

The only difference is that when I unplug all USB devices then option key works and when my internal drives appear (I have a Windows bootcamp partition as well) I pug in the SSD and it appears after a few seconds and can be selected as Startup disk and booting from it works fine.

That one SSD (SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD 1 TB) booted slower than the HDD is another story. The other one (Crucial X8 1 TB) is superfast fortunately.

Can't startup from external USB SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.