You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting 27-inch iMac to DELL Laptop

Can we connect 2020 Model 27-inch iMac to DELL work laptop to use it as an monitor? If yes, how? If No, any alternatives please?

Also I'm planning to connect additional monitor later to use as dual monitor setup.

Any suggestions please? Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 10:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 10:17 AM

No. Target Display Mode—now deprecated—was never intended as other than a Mac-to-Mac solutions. A limited number of 2009 and 2010 iMac 27s were accidentally found to work with some non-Apple devices, but that was never intended or supported by Apple.

Only a small sub-set of iMacs ever worked for TDM and the last of those was discontinued in 2014. Apple fnished the deprecation of TDM earlier this year. Dead technology.

That leaves network screen sharing as your option. This is an article about Mac screen sharing but I don't use Windows so do not know what options are available there.

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

Might check Dell's documentation.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 17, 2020 10:17 AM in response to yash1

No. Target Display Mode—now deprecated—was never intended as other than a Mac-to-Mac solutions. A limited number of 2009 and 2010 iMac 27s were accidentally found to work with some non-Apple devices, but that was never intended or supported by Apple.

Only a small sub-set of iMacs ever worked for TDM and the last of those was discontinued in 2014. Apple fnished the deprecation of TDM earlier this year. Dead technology.

That leaves network screen sharing as your option. This is an article about Mac screen sharing but I don't use Windows so do not know what options are available there.

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

Might check Dell's documentation.

Dec 17, 2020 1:42 PM in response to yash1

yash1, you might want to look at duetdisplay they have both a Mac and windows client. I'm currently using on mac-to-mac setup. You will need the Air subscription to make it work between two computers. There is also another option Luna Display that is a hardware dongle. The windows version is currently in pre-order. It is possible with 3rd party applications.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Connecting 27-inch iMac to DELL Laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.