You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iMovie no longer support directly uploading videos to Youtube?

I tried sharing a video to Youtube from iMovie earlier today, and I was disappointed that I could no longer find a way to directly upload to youtube. Instead, I had to save the file to my computer and then open a browser, sign-in, and upload the video from the file on my computer. I much prefer having the option to skip the step of saving the file to my computer as I have to upload a lot of videos all the time, and saving files to my computer takes up a lot of valuable space. Is there any way to directly upload videos to Youtube after the most recent iMovie update?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 12:05 PM

5 replies

Dec 20, 2020 5:09 PM in response to K5GBW

I am telling you that, over time, others have complained about the direct upload feature not working properly -- for them. If you "respectfully disagree" with that because it worked for you, then so noted. Obviously users who had zero problems wouldn't complain.

Anyway, I already responded to your post in a different thread. Again, here is Apple's feedback link where you can register your complaint with the people who can do something about it instead your fellow product users.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

-- Rich

Dec 17, 2020 12:18 PM in response to DanielGrenier

Hi, Daniel,

Based on the reports here from several others, the direct upload to You Tube has been discontinued. The most reliable way to upload to You Tube always has been, and still remains, dragging from the desktop into You Tube's upload window. While the direct upload feature worked for many users, there were lots of complaints about failed uploads. This probably was caused by You Tube and iMovie not keeping up with each other's updates.

-- Rich

Dec 20, 2020 4:00 PM in response to Rich839

I respectfully disagree. Why would users whom had ZERO problems complain? None. This sounds a lot like the squeaky wheel getting the oil. I just performed my first direct upload to YouTube and it's a PITA. NONE of the embedded IPTC data transfers over to YouTube. In finder it gives a description, all of my tags, etc. Yet I had to manually enter all of this information a second time into the YouTube website. Luckily I was see what I wrote in Finder on a second monitor. If you want to give Apple a "free pass" on what is obviously a very anti-user feature go right ahead. I plan on continuing to complain about it.

Does iMovie no longer support directly uploading videos to Youtube?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.