You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive not showing up on desktop - macOS Big Sur udpate

Since macOS Big Sur, I have not been able open my external drive.

I have a lot of information on this hard drive and don't know how to get to it.

Can someone explain what has happened and how I can fix this?

I don't understand. Not very good with computers.

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 1:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 1:51 PM

rhodes65, you external drive is formatted NTFS which is a windows based disk format. There are 3rd party applications that will allow you to read/write the NTFS format. Paragon software NTFS For Mac is one. You could download that and try it out to see it solves your problem. I noticed that you have a Seagate Branded drive. I would go to Seagate's site and see if they have an updated version of their software that will enable you to mount your external drive.

I hope this helps.

Paul

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 17, 2020 1:51 PM in response to rhodes65

rhodes65, you external drive is formatted NTFS which is a windows based disk format. There are 3rd party applications that will allow you to read/write the NTFS format. Paragon software NTFS For Mac is one. You could download that and try it out to see it solves your problem. I noticed that you have a Seagate Branded drive. I would go to Seagate's site and see if they have an updated version of their software that will enable you to mount your external drive.

I hope this helps.

Paul

external hard drive not showing up on desktop - macOS Big Sur udpate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.