You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it worth hanging on for a 16Gb M1 MacBook?

I want to make the leap to an M1 MacBook - ideally a Pro but I could live with an Air given how slight the differences are these days. I normally buy MacBooks with 16Gb of RAM - the problem is though that 16Gb M1 MacBooks are in very short supply right now. No resellers have them as far as I'm aware and ordering one from the Apple Store would mean waiting a whole month, delaying the sale of my current Intel MacBook Pro at least that long as I use it for work. However there seems to be no shortage of 8Gb M1 models: indeed I could walk into my local Apple Store and buy one today if I wanted. So the question is: is it really worth the wait? Given the power of the M1 processor, would that extra RAM make any meaningful difference? I'm aware that RAM (somewhat annoyingly) can't be upgraded later, but I don't normally do anything especially high end with my Macs - I just want a processor with enough horsepower to be able to cope with mid-range, non-professional photo, audio and video editing, the occasional game etc. Views welcome!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 5:45 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Dec 19, 2020 6:56 AM in response to Cameron Paterson

I waited and went with the MacBook Pro 16 GB with a 2 TB SSD Drive. It is a wonderful machine and I can not say enough good things about it.

My logic was go for TOP of the Line in hopes of having more memory and storage than is needed for "future proofing" the machine. I tend to keep my MacBook Pros for years and don't flip them often.

This machine is a true game changer, used it the other day for over 9 hours and still had 60% Battery left at the end of the day. My old MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) even with a NEW battery in it would last max of 3 to 3 ½ hours with everything turned down.

Make the leap and go with the 16GB of RAM, the sooner you place the order the sooner you will have it and in my case, Apple delivered it in 3 weeks, fully a week ahead of what the order said when I first placed it.

Dec 19, 2020 7:10 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks for the response. No, I don't have a pressing need for a new computer right now and I can wait. But I want to make the jump as soon as I can and I will need to sell on my current Intel iMac for a fair price when I do so. Clearly 16Gb is better than 8Gb but I was just wondering what the real world difference was with an M1 processor

Dec 19, 2020 8:48 AM in response to Cameron Paterson

Cameron Paterson wrote:
I just want a processor with enough horsepower to be able to cope with mid-range, non-professional photo, audio and video editing, the occasional game...

Thanks for the response. No, I don't have a pressing need for a new computer right now and I can wait. But I want to make the jump as soon as I can and I will need to sell on my current Intel iMac for a fair price when I do so. Clearly 16Gb is better than 8Gb but I was just wondering what the real world difference was with an M1 processor

If I was use to using a iMac and not in immediate need of a new machine/Notebook—

i would take the argument a step past 8GB RAM vs 16GB RAM...

and wait to see the specs on the release of the next round of Apple SoC especially the Mx 16" MBP.

In all likelihood the 1-month turn around time on orders is not going to change anytime soon with COVID19 issue.

The one benefit In contrast, the Apple M1 chip has unified memory, allowing the GPU and CPU to share memory without penalty. So depending on your workflow / usage of the Notebook—16GB RAM may go along way.

For pedestrian usage 8GB most likely would server your current need...however future proofing your purchase only you will have to weight the pros an cons. Both Storage and Memory are point of purchase only.

Is it worth hanging on for a 16Gb M1 MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.