You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

touch id not working after updating to macos BIG SUR

why touch Id not working after updating to MACOS BIG SUR

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 5:45 AM

3 replies

Dec 20, 2020 6:33 AM in response to ogikolo

Hi Ogikolo,

I have no solution, but can add to the topic:

I also have Touch ID and Account Password issues.

After installing macOS 11.1 over 10.15 on a MBP 15" 2018 with i9, 32Gb & 2TB.

1) Touch ID stopped working (I can log into the computer only by entering the password)

2) In System Preferences > Touch ID the option "Unlocking your Mac" is unchecked (before installing Big Sur, it was checked, and worked).

• After clicking on the checkbox, a password is requested.
  • After entering the password, the option becomes checked.
  • After going back to "Show all" in System Preferences and then back again to "Touch ID", the "Unlocking your Mac" option becomes unchecked again.
  • This can be repeated for ever, but trying restarts and logging out and in again, it persistently remains unchecked, and Touch ID can not be used to unlock the Mac.
  • Also, no new fingerprint can be added: nothing happens after entering the password

3) Going to System Preferences > Users & Groups, or Security & Privacy or the Date & Time preferences, the panel needs to be unlocked to make changes. But, after clicking on the lock icon, a password-entry dialog appears, the User Name is pre-filled, the password is not accepted.

It appears that the operation of the T2 chip is disturbed. Thank god I can log in to my Mac using my password.

This disturbs me very much so I'm gonna push this wherever I can

--Vilmos

touch id not working after updating to macos BIG SUR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.