You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two users on different devices

My wife and I each have an iPad and each have an apple id but her iPad defaults to my apple id and so it looks like I’m assigned to it. Plus, my airpods are connecting to her iPad. How can I separate the iPads so they are stand-alone? thanks

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 6:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 9:38 AM

Hi Di35,

Thanks for providing this additional information. Since you both have newer devices with iOS 14.3, and your personal data is in separate Apple ID accounts, this should work out just fine. The key here is to make sure your wife has enabled iCloud for all of her data. If she goes to www.icloud.com from any computer and signs in with her Apple ID, she should see her contacts, calendars, photos, notes, etc.

If that is the case, then you should follow the steps in the resource below to restore the iPad to factory settings.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Then, have your wife set it up as a new device (you can't use the iCloud backup because it is your Apple ID info).

In Settings > General > About, have her change the Name of the device to "Her Name's iPad"

Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - follow instructions to set up manually - using her Apple ID.

When she goes into Settings > {Her Name} > iCloud and turns on contacts, calendars, photos, notes, messages, etc., that information will be synced from iCloud back to her iPad. Turn iCloud features on or off - iCloud User Guide

That should put her on track. Have her work with this new setup for a few days. Then, if you wish, you can enable Family Sharing, so that you can share all of the purchases made with your Apple ID account with her.

What is Family Sharing?

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Happy Holidays to you both!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2020 9:38 AM in response to di35

Hi Di35,

Thanks for providing this additional information. Since you both have newer devices with iOS 14.3, and your personal data is in separate Apple ID accounts, this should work out just fine. The key here is to make sure your wife has enabled iCloud for all of her data. If she goes to www.icloud.com from any computer and signs in with her Apple ID, she should see her contacts, calendars, photos, notes, etc.

If that is the case, then you should follow the steps in the resource below to restore the iPad to factory settings.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Then, have your wife set it up as a new device (you can't use the iCloud backup because it is your Apple ID info).

In Settings > General > About, have her change the Name of the device to "Her Name's iPad"

Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - follow instructions to set up manually - using her Apple ID.

When she goes into Settings > {Her Name} > iCloud and turns on contacts, calendars, photos, notes, messages, etc., that information will be synced from iCloud back to her iPad. Turn iCloud features on or off - iCloud User Guide

That should put her on track. Have her work with this new setup for a few days. Then, if you wish, you can enable Family Sharing, so that you can share all of the purchases made with your Apple ID account with her.

What is Family Sharing?

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Happy Holidays to you both!

Dec 23, 2020 6:09 PM in response to di35

Good afternoon di35,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you and your wife are having issues with the Apple ID accounts on your two iPad devices, and AirPods connecting to the wrong device.

Can you provide a little more information about this situation?

Please reply to this thread with the answers to the preliminary questions below so that we can determine the best course of action for you.

Don't make any changes to your Apple ID, iCloud or device settings until you hear back from us, or unless you contact Apple Support for help with this.

As a general troubleshooting path, we would want to make sure your Apple ID accounts are unique and separate.

Then make a backup of your devices, and enable iCloud to quickly sync and populate important data.

Finally, it sounds like you may need to restore the older iPad to factory settings, and then set it up again with the correct Apple ID and data.

What do you mean when you say your wife's iPad "defaults to your Apple ID"?

Your profile shows an iPad 2 with iOS 9 running on one of the devices. Who uses this iPad?

What is the second iPad model and what iOS is running on it?

Do you and your wife each have a unique Apple ID?

Do each of you see this unique Apple ID in both the iCloud Settings and the App Store / iTunes Store settings?

(It sounds like an email address or phone number is being shared between your Apple ID accounts.)

Manage and use your Apple ID

Manage Apple ID and iCloud settings on iPhone - iPhone User Guide

Do you and your wife have iCloud enabled for your contacts, calendars, photos, etc. for your unique Apple ID?

Turn iCloud features on or off - iCloud User Guide

Your wife should be able to unpair the AirPods from her iPad and choose "Forget this device" in the Bluetooth settings.

Connect and use your AirPods and AirPods Pro

Please provide the additional information requested about your issue and we'll do our best to help!

Take care.

Dec 26, 2020 4:04 PM in response to judysings

Hi judysings. Thanks for getting back to me. My answers to your questions are below.

Can you provide a little more information about this situation? Yes I purchased my ipad first and then when I replaced it she took it for her use. She has her own Apple id. However, it looks in settings that my id is being used. She signs in to her own iCloud and Apple/iTunes account using her own id.

I think because of the settings the auto fill, for ex., populates my information.

The ipad 2 with IOS 9 is not being used. We each have the iPad 6th generation running 14.3.

For the ipads it looks like everything is being stored under my iCloud account.

Based on your questions it looks like I need to change the account info on her machine from me to her. But can I do that without having to reset her ipad to factory settings? Or should I make sure her ipad is backed up and then reset it and restore?

Thanks for your help.

Two users on different devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.