You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1: Volume, sound and brightness not working for ~25 seconds after waking

I'm using the new MacBook Air M1 since yesterday. It's insanely responsive and it really wakes up instantly, as Apple promised. However, there few – probably related – issues that persist for about a half minute after waking:

• Volume and brightness control keys do not work (While sliders in control center work. Also all other keys work as usual)
  • Sound does not work (both internal speakers or bluetooth)

I measured the time multiple times, it always takes about 23 seconds until these things start working. They all start working at once so all of these problems probably have the same cause.

I have updated the software to the latest version (for now it's Big Sur 11.1) but the problem persists.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 12:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 12:45 PM

While slowness at different times in a new Mac may seem odd until the device settles

in, could be nothing. ~ To troubleshoot an issue, could begin with Safe boot on startup.

• How to use Safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 22, 2020 1:48 PM in response to K Shaffer

Ok, so I tried to boot in Safe mode and the problem was gone. So I tried to reproduce the problem and I finally found out that it is somehow related to Spotify app. It happens only when Spotify is running. I suppose it's some Rosetta-related issue. Hopefully, when Spotify releases native app, the problem will be solved.

I'm curious if someone else has encountered the same problem.

MacBook Air M1: Volume, sound and brightness not working for ~25 seconds after waking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.