You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder 'show items as' icons have moved to center of window in Big Sur

I updated to Big Sur and one small change is really taking a toll on my daily experience. They moved the 'show items as' icons to the center of the window. I use those hundreds of times a day, depending on if I need to see a folder grouped as a list( alphabetically or by date modified), as icons so I can visually find an image, or as columns to navigate several folders in on shared folders on our server. They used to be left-justified next to my favorites, which I also use hundreds of times a day when switching between clients/projects. Any idea how I could move them back into my little left-side comfort zone? It may seem silly, but I can even use all 3 views during one foray into a client folder [COLUMNS - to navigate to a specific client's folder on a server full of many, LIST - to see which folder was most recently modified or find something alphabetically, ICONS - to search for something visually].

Also, in Adobe they have removed the icons all-together and it is now a drop-down menu that I have to use, again, a hundred times or more a day, to switch between these views. When I work on my laptop or home computer, I'm back in heaven with my little icons right where they should be in both the finder and Adobe. I also can't think of a reason to just move them to the center of the screen with this new OS.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 12:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 12:49 PM

Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added to the system via Feedback - macOS - Apple.  

Similar questions

1 reply

Finder 'show items as' icons have moved to center of window in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.