You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iMac 2020 is always running slow

Just about every application starts slowly displaying the rainbow wheel for several minutes below starting. I am running Big Sur V11.1 as shown in the screen shot below.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 2:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 2:11 PM

1. As another user has posted, is the 5400 rpm drive part of the problem? Would a SSD help greatly?

Absolutely (huge difference).

Professional installation is highly recommended, especially since you may still be covered by Applecare if you bought it. Here are install videos:

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/iMac-21-inch-2019/

Or, less expensive, take a look at above vendor and get an external SSD in an enclosure and use that as your every day boot drive. You can simply format it in Disk Utility, download CarbonCopyCloner, and have it create a bootable clone on the external SSD. You can then boot and work from it. Once you know everything is running perfectly, you can use the internal as a backup drive (after wiping it).

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2021 2:11 PM in response to Frithwood

1. As another user has posted, is the 5400 rpm drive part of the problem? Would a SSD help greatly?

Absolutely (huge difference).

Professional installation is highly recommended, especially since you may still be covered by Applecare if you bought it. Here are install videos:

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/iMac-21-inch-2019/

Or, less expensive, take a look at above vendor and get an external SSD in an enclosure and use that as your every day boot drive. You can simply format it in Disk Utility, download CarbonCopyCloner, and have it create a bootable clone on the external SSD. You can then boot and work from it. Once you know everything is running perfectly, you can use the internal as a backup drive (after wiping it).

Dec 28, 2020 5:51 AM in response to Frithwood

Hello Frithwood,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that when opening applications on your iMac running macOS Big Sur the rainbow wheel displays for several minutes before starting the application. We know how important it is for you to be able to access your applications quickly. This article has steps which may help:

If your Mac runs slowly - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Dec 28, 2020 5:53 PM in response to Frithwood

Firth, thanks for the image and the reply of what you tried. A couple of next steps can be.

1. Create a brand new user. Does this new user have the same "slowness" issue and your current user account? If not then it is something in your current user configuration. You could log back in to your original account and start removing applications that are loaded when you login. Check the Users & Groups preference pane and the login items for your account. If so then there is something else causing the issue.
  2. Make sure you have the latest versions of the software that is on your system. Especially login items. You can also change the order of the login items to see if that helps.
  3. Another item that comes to mind. Do you have anything connected to your iMac? If so remove everything not absolutely necessary and start connecting them one at a time. And find what causes the machine to slow down.

Does your computer have a fusion drive in it? Or is it just a SSD?

I hope this helps.

Paul

Jan 11, 2021 7:30 AM in response to Paul Conaway

1. I had previously created a new user so have now deleted an old user which seems to have helped slightly.
  2. I have the system set to automatic update so expect everything is up to date.
  3. Only external connections are a disk drive and G Tech backup drive, which I have stopped from carrying out backups every 20 minutes.
  4. As another user has posted, is the 5400 rpm drive part of the problem? Would a SSD help greatly?

Jan 11, 2021 2:16 PM in response to Frithwood

Please post the entire report as follows:

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Dec 28, 2020 6:19 PM in response to Frithwood

Your main problem is that your model has the super slow 5400 rpm spinning drive unless you customized it at time of purchase - it does everything in a snail like speed. There is nothing you can do except get an external SSD, plug that in, create a clone of your system on it and then use that external as your regular boot drive.

Why is my iMac 2020 is always running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.