You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem in Disk utility Mac

Good day everyone,

Today I wanted to check what was taking soo much storage in my Mac today and I found an extra partition on the Macs internal hard drive called Update.It says that the other volumes take 160gb! I have an option to delete the partition to free some space up but I wanted to know if I would have a problem if I deleted "Update".I really need the extra storage on my Mac.

Thank you,

have a nice day!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 9:57 AM

3 replies

Dec 26, 2020 11:19 AM in response to ragegolder

The "Update" volume is a new APFS volume which is required by macOS 11.x Big Sur to handle updates. "Update" is an APFS volume and not a separate partition. Do not delete the "Update" volume or you will break macOS.

macOS also includes other APFS volumes for normal macOS use, but keeps them hidden from view. I don't know why Apple exposes the "Update" volume. Never delete any volumes or partitions that you did not intentionally create.

Problem in Disk utility Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.