You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get iMac mid-2011 to reinstall OSX after erasing drives

Please help and provide your solutions if you can. It would be greatly appreciated.

I have seen and read about this same issue over the internet, but I cannot find a fix to my problem that works for me. I erased the hard drives of my mid-2011 iMac 27" to do a clean install of the OSX and reset it to factory settings. I don't have a bootable DVD for OSX Lion, so I was forced to do the internet recovery process to install a new OS. With this process, I am getting the "do not have components..." error message and so OSX Lion will not install. I have done the online research and tried change the date with Terminal with no luck there. I have another iMac 27", late 2012 which is my primary computer and so I made a bootable external drive with an old LaCie rugged drive I had around. I was able to install OSX Mojave on it. I tested it on the late 2012 iMac, doing the reboot and holding down the option key. Process works fine and I can choose to start up from the OSX on the external LaCie drive. However, this process does NOT work on the mid-2011 iMac that I am trying to get back to working. At this point I am stuck with an iMac paperweight.

Again, any advice or solutions would greatly appreciated. Thank you to anyone who responds.

Cheers,

rung11

iMac 27″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 5:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 5:37 PM

You can not install or run Mojave on a Mid 2011 iMac.

You need to install macOS High Sierra. To do that, go to > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683 scroll down to Download macOS and click on macOS High Sierra 10.13.

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 26, 2020 9:47 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks for the tip! It took me a while to find a way to get High Sierra installed on a bootable external drive. It wouldn't install on my LaCie external drive but I finally got it installed on a USB stick. I had tried various disk creator programs to create a bootable USB stick with High Sierra but to no avail, however I found a command using Terminal in another forum chat that worked. It was a long day of trial and error, so thank you very much for your tip which OSX to use for the bootable external drive!

Cannot get iMac mid-2011 to reinstall OSX after erasing drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.