You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airplay displays off - no option to turn on

I am trying to set up the ability to connect to airplay via the top menu bar.

Considering what is written below - what else do I need to do to add the ability to connect to Airplay via an icon in the menu bar?

I am running High Sierra now.

I have gone into system preferences>displays.

I have ticked the box that says 'Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available.

However the drop down menu within system preferences>displays says that Airplay Display is OFF and does not have an option to switch it on.

There is an airplay device on and available.

When I go to System Preferences>sound the existence of an airplay device is confirmed

Following apple support advice / forum answers, i have performed the following already:

1. update both iMac / Apple TV to the latest software version
  2. confirmed no device restriction applied by Apple TV
  3. confirmed mirror airplay function works well in my other device including my macbook pro / iphone se
  4. confirmed subject iMac has switched off all anti virus / firewall in the subject iMAC already
  5. confirmed subject iMac and apple tv are connecting the same wifi network with strong wifi signal
  6. confirmed subject iMac mirror display option is not available in safe mode / by guest login too
  7. tried reinstallation MacOS already (problem exists in Sierra, and remains after updating to High Sierra)

Could you please advise what else i need to do to enable the mirror display in my subject iMac again? Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 7:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 2:48 PM

Hey there mr.crispy,

We understand you're not seeing the option for using AirPlay in your menu bar. We'll be happy to help.

You've already done some great troubleshooting and isolation on this. Next, we'd recommend reviewing the steps on this page and completing anything you haven't done yet: If AirPlay or screen mirroring isn’t working on your device

You also mentioned using a guest user. We'd recommend creating a new administrative account to test with since guest accounts may be limited. Use the steps here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

However, if this persists, reach out to Apple Support directly and they dig further into the issue with you. Use this link: Get Support

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2020 2:48 PM in response to mr.crispy

Hey there mr.crispy,

We understand you're not seeing the option for using AirPlay in your menu bar. We'll be happy to help.

You've already done some great troubleshooting and isolation on this. Next, we'd recommend reviewing the steps on this page and completing anything you haven't done yet: If AirPlay or screen mirroring isn’t working on your device

You also mentioned using a guest user. We'd recommend creating a new administrative account to test with since guest accounts may be limited. Use the steps here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

However, if this persists, reach out to Apple Support directly and they dig further into the issue with you. Use this link: Get Support

Cheers!

airplay displays off - no option to turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.