You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sleep data

My Apple Watch (Series 6, GPS+cellular) is not collecting sleep data. Is it because I need to download an additional sleep app because Apple’s Sleep component of Health is only meant for iPhone tracking at most? or is there an issue with my watch? It’s driving me crazy because I assumed I just needed to click, “Track sleep with Apple Watch.” But now I’m seeing that it isn’t a source of data? Do I have to also select tracking with the iPhone? I’ve gone in loops of madness within the Sleep settings (yes, I’ve set up sleep schedules). Thanks for any help!

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 7

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 10:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 7:14 AM

IT WORKS! I did a massive clean-wipe and started over. My Watch has finally showed up as a source for data and it collected it in conjunction with the iPhone and the clock.

IMPORTANT: Sleep data does not refresh/update like other Health measurements (steps, etc.). It will only show the data once the Sleep Schedule for that night has completed (when the alarm goes off). So if you woke up in the middle of the night to look at data in Health > Sleep, you won't see any until the alarm goes off. Neither the iPhone or the Watch will show up as a source until the Sleep Schedule kicks in and the data is gathered. I was constantly checking in Health > Sleep > scroll to bottom and "Data Sources & Access."

The other problem I encountered had to do with when you rename the Watch to something other than "FIRSTNAME’s Apple Watch." There’s apparently an issue with this and it messed with the profiles/links to devices and data. At one point I noticed that my Watch was no longer paired with my iPhone, even though, data for other measurements were still coming through. Whether or not this is part of my original problem, I’m not sure. But on my latest re-pairing, I didn't even bother with renaming it. May go back to it some day but not a big deal.

Add to this the problems people had with Apple iCloud sign-in/verifications and device activations for Watches, and the joys of Christmas are burned to the ground. (Apparently this last issue has been resolved around 12/27?)

If anyone is interested in how I got back to a clean pairing and set-up, let me know in response to this. I'll post instructions which will include the ones Apple provides along with how I made sure I started with a completely clean slate.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2020 7:14 AM in response to oysauce

IT WORKS! I did a massive clean-wipe and started over. My Watch has finally showed up as a source for data and it collected it in conjunction with the iPhone and the clock.

IMPORTANT: Sleep data does not refresh/update like other Health measurements (steps, etc.). It will only show the data once the Sleep Schedule for that night has completed (when the alarm goes off). So if you woke up in the middle of the night to look at data in Health > Sleep, you won't see any until the alarm goes off. Neither the iPhone or the Watch will show up as a source until the Sleep Schedule kicks in and the data is gathered. I was constantly checking in Health > Sleep > scroll to bottom and "Data Sources & Access."

The other problem I encountered had to do with when you rename the Watch to something other than "FIRSTNAME’s Apple Watch." There’s apparently an issue with this and it messed with the profiles/links to devices and data. At one point I noticed that my Watch was no longer paired with my iPhone, even though, data for other measurements were still coming through. Whether or not this is part of my original problem, I’m not sure. But on my latest re-pairing, I didn't even bother with renaming it. May go back to it some day but not a big deal.

Add to this the problems people had with Apple iCloud sign-in/verifications and device activations for Watches, and the joys of Christmas are burned to the ground. (Apparently this last issue has been resolved around 12/27?)

If anyone is interested in how I got back to a clean pairing and set-up, let me know in response to this. I'll post instructions which will include the ones Apple provides along with how I made sure I started with a completely clean slate.

Dec 28, 2020 8:51 AM in response to Community User

Hi fieryjack. Thanks for sending that. I did find that yesterday and read through it a few times. I think I need to give more background especially because I think I'm going crazy. Mayde writing it down will help find a solution.

• When I first got the watch, I went through the process of getting it set up (maybe Dec 26th?). I had, at the time, already been using a Sleep schedule on my iPhone 11pro for its alarm and the "iPhone method" of seeing if I was asleep (picking up and looking at the phone). During the process I was asked to update the software. At the end of the process, and after I made some personal choices on set-up, while it gathered data on activity, the watch became all of the sudden "unpaired." I kept seeing data being gathered for activity and other measures. So I figured maybe it will eventually catch up and not only completely changeover the name of the watch to the one I created, but also re-pair. By the next morning, it did neither and there was no sleep data. So yesterday, I unpaired (but kept my cellular) and re-paired as a new watch (not using backup). It didn't ask me to update the software. Went through everything again. This time, the name changed on every instance EXCEPT the one when you look under your Profile in Health (your picture or initials in top right corner, click, then Privacy > Devices). I scoured the internet for answers and supposedly the Watch name/profile thing is an issue. But I cracked on. I set up the Sleep schedule again and going through the set-up options 2-3 times to be certain I wondered if deselecting "Track Time in Bed with iPhone" was the issue... I was so loopy at this point I just did it because I assumed this was the better way to track sleep; I made sure that "Track Sleep with Apple Watch" was selected. Used Watch as usual, then next morning nothing again. I noticed that in Health, under Profile > Privacy > Apps, the "Clock" was not linked to Sleep to read/write data. Weird. At this point I had read that Apple had issues with iCloud set-up and activations. Okay. Maybe that's the issue.
  • So, early this morning, after thinking it all through again especially the weirdness with tracking using the iPhone v Watch, v Clock, I went through the process again early this morning (apparently Apple has fixed the iCloud issue):
    1. Unpaired the Watch.
    2. Deleted all related data (health stuff, activities, etc.) including the deletion of the Apple Activity app for iPhone. Left the "Watch" app on assuming that its data would be wiped along with the unpairing.
    3. Turned iPhone completely off, then back on.
    4. Downloaded the Activity app.
    5. Went into Sleep and set it up like I had it when it was just my iPhone (created a schedule, alarm, and selected "Track Time in Bed."
    6. For some reason, a red badge showed up on my Settings icon on the iPhone... it said that some of my apps or whatever needed me to log into my Apple I.D. -- it was a loop. I couldn't log in. (*#HUFG(*EIHG(WEOHUF(W*EOHUWIEUHF
    7. Turned the iPhone off and back on. Disappeared. Maybe this was because of the Apple fix. Idk.
    8. Went back to sleep and an hour and a half later, checked Sleep... THERE WAS DATA! Whoo hooo. Erased the data to start clean tonight.
    9. Paired the Watch. Went through all options using the Watch's Settings (in Sleep,"Sleep Tracking" was already selected), then double-checked via the Watch app on the iPhone (full schedule appeared).
    10. Waiting for tomorrow morning.

NOTE: The naming of the Watch to something different from the default "FIRSTNAME's Apple Watch" worked but didn't changeover in the Profile in Health. I don't really care as long as everything's working.

Will check back tomorrow with results unless someone already sees an issue with my process. I think if this works, Apple should state that you have to have Sleep set-up on the iPhone first. And that it only works using the iPhone AND the Watch in tandem with "Clock" (the scheduling of the sleep period and alarm).

Sleep data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.