You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup on a new disk is very very slow with Big Sur

Last week I bought a new external drive 8T USB-3, initialized for Time Machine with Big Sur on my MBP 15. I need to backup ~834GB. The first backup has started five days ago and is still running, ~130GB remaining. Why is it so slow?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 12:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 3:14 PM

hyperviper wrote:

USB-C. Notice that the first ~400GB required ~three hours. It seem to me that as the backup goes on it becomes slover. Also I suspect that the problem is related with the new APFS backup format.

It is not unusual for disk I/O to be faster on small transfers because the drive can buffer incoming data faster than it can be written. That might explain why you observed 400GByte/3 hours (~2GBytes/minute) but your short test achieved 1GByte in 5 seconds.

Check your cables (USB-x or ThunderBolt) and the data transfer rates claimed by the external disk for sustained transfers. Note that TB cables marketed by Apple are rated much faster than regular "USB-C" data cables supporting USB v4, and if you are using the USB-C charge cable supplied for charging a MacBook it might only achieve USB v2 data performance. About USB on Mac computers - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2020 3:14 PM in response to hyperviper

hyperviper wrote:

USB-C. Notice that the first ~400GB required ~three hours. It seem to me that as the backup goes on it becomes slover. Also I suspect that the problem is related with the new APFS backup format.

It is not unusual for disk I/O to be faster on small transfers because the drive can buffer incoming data faster than it can be written. That might explain why you observed 400GByte/3 hours (~2GBytes/minute) but your short test achieved 1GByte in 5 seconds.

Check your cables (USB-x or ThunderBolt) and the data transfer rates claimed by the external disk for sustained transfers. Note that TB cables marketed by Apple are rated much faster than regular "USB-C" data cables supporting USB v4, and if you are using the USB-C charge cable supplied for charging a MacBook it might only achieve USB v2 data performance. About USB on Mac computers - Apple Support

Dec 30, 2020 9:57 AM in response to Branta_uk

@Branta_uk, tnx for the pointer. I'm using a usb-c to usb-3 adapter from Amazon (USB 3.1 Gen 1 -> up to 5Gbps) and the external disk (WD MyBook) uses its own ps and its own usb-3 cable. My MBP is a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) with these ports:

Four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with support for:

• Charging
  • DisplayPort
  • Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)

In this moment it's stuck at 785.61GB by almost 2 hours, really odd.

BTW, it seems that I'm not alone in facing TM issues with Big Sur:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252044887?page=1

I'll wait for a fix.

Time Machine backup on a new disk is very very slow with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.