You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open Ravelry website

I am unable to open Ravelry. This is a site I have used for years and now after the last update I can not open the site on my iPad or iMac.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 3:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 4:11 AM

Are you using an Ad’ or Content blocking products on your iPad? If so, you may need to refine the ruleset or “whitelist” the website.

If you’re not using a Content Blocker, you may have found a compatibility issue between iPadOS WebKit (recently updated - and a key component of the rendering engine) and the target webpage. Until such time as either WebKit or the website is updated, it may be necessary to use a different computer to access the website that causes issues. iOS/iPadOS Webkit is at the leading edge of browser design, focussing upon security and privacy.

You may find that switching Safari from its default Desktop to Mobile browsing mode provides a workaround. With the website page loaded, tap the aA icon at the left of the Address Bar; a menu will appear. Select Website Settings; deselect Request Desktop Website, then tap Done. Finally, refresh the webpage.

It is also possible that a different browser App may workaround the problem, however, you should be aware that most third-party browser Apps remain reliant upon the WebKit component.

It may be worthwhile to contact the website operator to report the problem. Many older websites are yet to update to modern standards; if they fail to update, more and more modern browsers will fail the render their content - and the website will slowly slip into obscurity.

I hope this information is helpful in finding a viable workaround solution.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2020 4:11 AM in response to Kcobb15

Are you using an Ad’ or Content blocking products on your iPad? If so, you may need to refine the ruleset or “whitelist” the website.

If you’re not using a Content Blocker, you may have found a compatibility issue between iPadOS WebKit (recently updated - and a key component of the rendering engine) and the target webpage. Until such time as either WebKit or the website is updated, it may be necessary to use a different computer to access the website that causes issues. iOS/iPadOS Webkit is at the leading edge of browser design, focussing upon security and privacy.

You may find that switching Safari from its default Desktop to Mobile browsing mode provides a workaround. With the website page loaded, tap the aA icon at the left of the Address Bar; a menu will appear. Select Website Settings; deselect Request Desktop Website, then tap Done. Finally, refresh the webpage.

It is also possible that a different browser App may workaround the problem, however, you should be aware that most third-party browser Apps remain reliant upon the WebKit component.

It may be worthwhile to contact the website operator to report the problem. Many older websites are yet to update to modern standards; if they fail to update, more and more modern browsers will fail the render their content - and the website will slowly slip into obscurity.

I hope this information is helpful in finding a viable workaround solution.

Unable to open Ravelry website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.