You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Native Big Sur GUI Not Responding in Some Instances

I've recently updated to Mac OS Big Sur and I noticed a few problems after the update.

1) Firstly, in all programs that utilize a modal finder to select a file for upload or to download (i.e. program calls NSOpenPanel), the modal doesn't seem to respond to clicks. I can't click "Cancel" in the modal finder, but I can select it in my Mac's touch bar and the action is received.

2) Secondly, when I open the System Preferences window, I can click any option I'd like. Afterwards, the rest of the window for that option doesn't seem like it is responding. For example, if I click "Printers & Scanners" in my System Preferences, the window doesn't seem to respond to clicks. I can, however, click any button at the top bar and the action happens.

I think these events are both related. How do I fix this?

I've already tried to force quit Finder and restarting my mac but it doesn't work as the issue keeps popping up. When I quit Finder, it doesn't do anything. When I restart my Mac, the issue disappears temporarily and then reappears after using my computer for a bit.

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 2:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 8:50 PM

Boot into Safe Mode and see if it happens in Safe Mode, then reboot normally and see if it still happens.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

That is the Open File dialog window. It’s not the Finder, but it does share similar features.

Similar questions

1 reply

Native Big Sur GUI Not Responding in Some Instances

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.