You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with reinstalling macOS Big Sur on MacBook Pro with Apple M1 chip

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a fully reset MacBook Pro and have had issues trying to get it working. When trying to reinstall it, I continually get an error saying that it failed to personalize the software update. Whenever I try the steps in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211983 I get another error: "Failed writing body (0 != 4344)" for the terminal commands. For the bootable installer, I receive the failed to personalize error again, and trying Catalina instead of Big Sur causes the volume to just not show up. I then tried to restore it using Apple Configurator 2 on another MacBook, but I get an error message saying the target device has to be in recovery mode for it to work, and to the best of my knowledge it is in recovery mode. I am not the most tech savvy so sorry if I sound dumb. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, 11.0

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 8:40 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Issue with reinstalling macOS Big Sur on MacBook Pro with Apple M1 chip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.