You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macos 11.1 Accidently put 1Tb of files into trash bin. How can I delete them quickly? They will take days or weeks to empty normally.

I have tried using Terminal commands:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

rm: /Users/glindsay/.Trash: Operation not permitted

sudo rm .Trash/*

zsh: no matches found: .Trash/*

Many of the files are from my Time Machine and will be the major cause of trouble. I did not mean them to go into the Trash directly but now I cannot get them out again.

Any useful ideas short of restoring my main drive from a clone which I do have?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 3:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 5:05 PM

Yes. I have already disabled Time machine for the moment. I had planned, as a last resort, to erase Time Machine drive but I was hoping to keep the last few backups at least. Not a good way to commence the new year, but I guess a clean slate might be a useful way to go. I have all my data backed up daily on a separate disk (several, actually) so I won't lose that, just the convenience of recovering deleted files easily.

Thanks for the feedback. I will bite the bullet and fix the drive.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2020 5:05 PM in response to dialabrain

Yes. I have already disabled Time machine for the moment. I had planned, as a last resort, to erase Time Machine drive but I was hoping to keep the last few backups at least. Not a good way to commence the new year, but I guess a clean slate might be a useful way to go. I have all my data backed up daily on a separate disk (several, actually) so I won't lose that, just the convenience of recovering deleted files easily.

Thanks for the feedback. I will bite the bullet and fix the drive.

Macos 11.1 Accidently put 1Tb of files into trash bin. How can I delete them quickly? They will take days or weeks to empty normally.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.