You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what kind of firewire to thunderbolt converter do I need?

I have several old Firewire drives which I just re-located, and I'd like to connect them to my 2014 iMac, but it doesn't have a Firewire port. It does have several Thunderbolt ports. Is there an adapter I can get that will allow me to connect the drives and transfer the date to a new USB drive?

Thanks,

Hal

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 11:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 12:00 PM

You need a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter, please verify your devices are Firewire 400 and not Firewire 800, which are 2 totally separate protocols.

Also, I would strong recommend replacing the FW devices as they are likely extremely out of date, Apple stopped using Firewire over 10 years ago to give you an idea.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 1, 2021 12:00 PM in response to Halle

You need a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter, please verify your devices are Firewire 400 and not Firewire 800, which are 2 totally separate protocols.

Also, I would strong recommend replacing the FW devices as they are likely extremely out of date, Apple stopped using Firewire over 10 years ago to give you an idea.

what kind of firewire to thunderbolt converter do I need?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.