You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software update

I was trying to update a software upgrade of macOS Big Sur version but my MacBook is not not finishing the download. I have a good wifi connection and storage on the system too. Can anyone explain what to do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 10:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 10:47 PM

If the download does not complete:

• If it does leave what looks like a "complete" installer file in the /Applications folder, delete it, and try downloading it again.
  • If it does not leave an installer in the /Applications folder, it may leave an incomplete/corrupted installer in the /Library/Updates folder. To help locate the partial installer package, try using the following command in the Terminal app: 
    • lsof | grep <the installer filename>

If neither of the above is the case, try booting up your Mac in Safe Mode, and then, try updating your Mac again.

Ref:  Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 1, 2021 10:47 PM in response to akhil200

If the download does not complete:

• If it does leave what looks like a "complete" installer file in the /Applications folder, delete it, and try downloading it again.
  • If it does not leave an installer in the /Applications folder, it may leave an incomplete/corrupted installer in the /Library/Updates folder. To help locate the partial installer package, try using the following command in the Terminal app: 
    • lsof | grep <the installer filename>

If neither of the above is the case, try booting up your Mac in Safe Mode, and then, try updating your Mac again.

Ref:  Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.