You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting duplicate pictures on albums

What is the effect of deleting duplicate pictures on albums

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 3:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 12:29 AM

Hi

Any image that has been placed in an album that is then deleted will (Obviously) also be removed from the album.

To clarify: If you have two duplicates of an image, place one in the album, and delete the other, then the album is unaffected. But if you delete the one you placed in the album it is removed.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 3, 2021 12:29 AM in response to jjstoltenberg

Hi

Any image that has been placed in an album that is then deleted will (Obviously) also be removed from the album.

To clarify: If you have two duplicates of an image, place one in the album, and delete the other, then the album is unaffected. But if you delete the one you placed in the album it is removed.

Jan 3, 2021 10:30 AM in response to jjstoltenberg

You can use an AppleSceript provided by other users, How to find out the albums a photo is in: Jacques Rioux's Script, Catalina Version for Photos 5 - Apple Community, to find what albums a particular photo is in. That way you can then delete the duplicate that is not in the album.

The script compiled as an application can be downloaded from this tutorial site:  P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications  

You want an app that will identify the potential duplicates, put them in an album or mark them with a keyword for easy retrieval and deletion by you. You don't want one that does the deletion itself for obvious reasons. 

I've run tests on the these two apps with the following results and found them to be safe to use:

PowerPhotos - $29.95  

PowerPhotos is the iPhoto Library Manager version for Photos and is very powerful. Although more expensive I would recommend it as it has more capabilities than the others like the capability to merge Photos libraries or copy photos, both original and edited versions, along with their metadata between libraries.

PhotoSweeper - $9.99 - Demo version available.

PhotoSweeper compares bitmaps and/or histograms so it can detect duplicate images even if they have different file sizes, file names, image sizes and capture dates.

Jan 3, 2021 9:02 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks, that was my assumption. Is there any way to determine which of two duplicates are in what albums without going to each album to check? Thanks for the help. I have 67,000 photos in 550 albums or projects and "Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro" tells me I have thousands of duplicates. I am anxious about pulling the trigger and delete the duplicates. Any experience with this app?

Jan 3, 2021 9:08 AM in response to jjstoltenberg

I don't think you should be using that app. It doesn't seem to be photos library aware, and might be identifying the thumbnails and previews stored in the libarary for every image as duplicates.

If you allow it to remove duplicates it will likely irreparably damage your library.

You must use an app designed to work with the photos library (Ie one that marks the photos or puts them in an album, and lets you review and then delete them within photos, rather than doing the delete itself.

Do NOT use a general file duplicate finder not designed to work with the photos library. They will damage your photos library and likely cause loss of your photos.

I personally use PowerPhotos (I also use this for copying images and data between libraries)
https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/

Another suitable app recommended by experts here is PhotoSweeper (I have no personal experience of this one)

https://overmacs.com/

Both are paid apps.

Jan 4, 2021 11:53 AM in response to jjstoltenberg

I reached out to "Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro" support and received the email response below. Thoughts??

Dear John,

My apologies for the inconvenience you have faced.

Please note Duplicate Photo Fixer is thoroughly tested and has no such feature that can cause damage to Photos Library.

Also, after strict security and quality checks, Apple allows any app to publish them on the App Store. If our app has any compatibility issues with Photos App then Apple would not have allowed them to publish on the App Store.

Moreover, by default, our app scans the files greater than 50 kb files on the device, so that thumbnails and previews will not come in the scan.

Additionally, deleting the duplicates from Photos library moves them to "Duplicate Marked Photos folder" first and then to "Recently Deleted Items".

Therefore, in case you delete images from Duplicate Marked Photos Folder, then the images are still in the Recently deleted items of Photos Library. From there you can recover these images within 30 days. (However, after 30 days image automatically removed from there).

Therefore, we recommend that you give our App a try. You will see the benefits of it in the long run.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you have further queries.

Deleting duplicate pictures on albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.