You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I store my documents in I-cloud.

If I do a backup on time-machine, will it back up icloud drive?

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 10:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 11:35 AM

Time Machine will only backup things that have a local copy on your Mac.

If you don't have Optimize Mac Storage turned on at Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud then your documents will have a local copy. If you don't have Optimize Mac Storage turned on at Photos app > Photos menu > Preferences > iCloud then your photos will have a local copy.

If you do have those options turned on then some or all of your documents and photos may not have a local copy and would not be included in a Time Machine backup.

More information on those Optimize options is in: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support and Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 5, 2021 11:35 AM in response to sleuthkmw

Time Machine will only backup things that have a local copy on your Mac.

If you don't have Optimize Mac Storage turned on at Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud then your documents will have a local copy. If you don't have Optimize Mac Storage turned on at Photos app > Photos menu > Preferences > iCloud then your photos will have a local copy.

If you do have those options turned on then some or all of your documents and photos may not have a local copy and would not be included in a Time Machine backup.

More information on those Optimize options is in: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support and Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

I store my documents in I-cloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.