You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Migrated Photo Library from Documents

Trying manage my Storage by cleaning up "Large Files" in Documents. There's a file called "iPhoto Library.migratedphotoslibrary" that's taking up 37GB of space. When I click to open it, I get a message saying, "Cannot open migrated library. The content of the iPhoto library "iPhotoLibrary.migratedphotolibrary" has already been migrated to Photos. Open Photos to view your library or use a compatible version of iPhoto to open this iPhoto library." Will deleting this file from "Documents" affect the library that's been migrated to Photos? Can I safely delete this file?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 12:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 1:07 PM

In short, yes you can delete it.

However, you should make sure you are happy that your Photos library contains all of the photos that were in this original iPhoto library and that you have a backup of the Photos library.

In reality you are unlikely to gain much storage space when you delete this file as when the new Photos library was created/migrated, instead of making new copies of all of the photos your Mac would have made a link to the photos in the old iPhotos library. Although Finder will show the iPhotos library as being 37GB and the Photos library as being, say 40GB the 2 libraries will only be using 40GB or so in total. This is, of course, unless you have moved your Photos library to a different location.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 5, 2021 1:07 PM in response to sargelee71

In short, yes you can delete it.

However, you should make sure you are happy that your Photos library contains all of the photos that were in this original iPhoto library and that you have a backup of the Photos library.

In reality you are unlikely to gain much storage space when you delete this file as when the new Photos library was created/migrated, instead of making new copies of all of the photos your Mac would have made a link to the photos in the old iPhotos library. Although Finder will show the iPhotos library as being 37GB and the Photos library as being, say 40GB the 2 libraries will only be using 40GB or so in total. This is, of course, unless you have moved your Photos library to a different location.

Deleting Migrated Photo Library from Documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.