You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard shortcuts disabled

For the last week or so something strange has been happening with my iMac. For some reason the keyboard shortcuts - copy / paste / cut and others - stop working. At first I thought the problem was with my keyboard but when I check the menubar the shortcuts are greyed-out. This seems to be a system problem of some kind as it occurs with pretty much all the apps I use. I'm running System 11.1

Any ideas? I'm running system 11.1

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 7:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 12:30 PM

Hello Andrew At The Croft,

We know it's important to use keyboard shortcuts for quick typing. We'll be glad to help.

Let's try some steps to help fix these issues. Please start by restarting in safe mode. Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, completes a basic check of your startup disk, and clears cache. Test the keyboard shortcuts and see how they behave. Here's how to restart in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If you're still having issues after testing in safe mode, testing in a new user may help your shortcuts respond without any issue. Sometimes user specific permission issues may keep the software from properly loading, and temporarily creating a new user, then testing may help. Here's how to set up a test administrator account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know the result. 

Take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 8, 2021 12:30 PM in response to Andrew At The Croft

Hello Andrew At The Croft,

We know it's important to use keyboard shortcuts for quick typing. We'll be glad to help.

Let's try some steps to help fix these issues. Please start by restarting in safe mode. Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, completes a basic check of your startup disk, and clears cache. Test the keyboard shortcuts and see how they behave. Here's how to restart in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If you're still having issues after testing in safe mode, testing in a new user may help your shortcuts respond without any issue. Sometimes user specific permission issues may keep the software from properly loading, and temporarily creating a new user, then testing may help. Here's how to set up a test administrator account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know the result. 

Take care!

keyboard shortcuts disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.