You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I safely transfer information to a new Mac using Safe Mode on my old one?

For reasons still unknown, since upgrading to Catalina five weeks ago, my old MacBook Pro loses Internet access after 5 minutes when booted normally, but retains access when booted in Safe Mode. Migration Assistant guidance is to connect new and old computers via WiFi. Can I safely transfer information to a new MacBook Pro from my old one in Safe Mode? What things would be missed that I would then have to transfer manually so they're not lost? Or would it be smarter to just buy Ethernet-to-Thunderbolt adapters so I could connect the two computers with an Ethernet cable? Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 4:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 11:14 PM

Apple Support was, indeed, the key! Suspect my problem isn't all that common, but in case someone else has it, it may be worth sharing what I learned and what happened. I had an excellent talk with Micah of Apple Support, who laid out three different ways we might go about transferring data to the new laptop and — to my surprise and pleasure — offered to stay on the phone with me for awhile as we initiated the recommended approach, to be reasonably sure it was working before we parted company.

To my surprise, the recommended Plan 1 was to connect the two computers using WiFi with both computers in normal mode, even though my experience had been that the old one pretty much lost its Internet connection only 5 minutes or so after being booted in normal mode. Micah's point was that Migration Assistant shuts down other software and there was reason to believe (at least hope) that might avoid my problem, since we knew it went away in Safe Mode when some software is disabled. A fallback Plan 3 — thought to be OK, but a bit uncertain for us both — if Plan 1 failed for loss of connection, would have been to boot the old laptop in Safe Mode.

Plan 2 was to purchase a new Thunderbolt 2 cable and a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter and connect the two computers by cable. In retrospect, this probably would have made the transfer quicker than it turned out to be, but would have required spending ~$100 for a one-time use cable and waiting several days for it to arrive.

As it turned out, Plan 1 — WiFi, normal mode — worked, though very slowly. The two machines never lost connection, but steadily transferred data at rates only ranging from 17-36 Mbps. (At the same time, my iPhone measured the WiFi connection as capable of handling over 400 Mbps. The new laptop actually had a message saying things might go faster by cable.) So, starting late one afternoon, it required waiting overnight for the process to complete — but complete it did. And Migration Assistant made the getting connected process easier than I had expected — e.g., I didn't have to tell it where to find a WiFi connection, it immediately showed me the available options and all I had to do was provide a login password for that.

Before claiming the entire process of migrating to the new laptop is complete, I've still got a couple of applications to wrestle with — licensed on the old machine, but their licenses are not recognized on the new one — and my Time Capsule for some reason refuses to connect to the new laptop. Frustrating issues, to be sure, but they are different and separate from my big data transfer issue and question raised here. Migration Assistant and a pleasant, helpful, and caring Apple Support representative got that problem resolved. Thank you to both!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 12, 2021 11:14 PM in response to MoonJ.

Apple Support was, indeed, the key! Suspect my problem isn't all that common, but in case someone else has it, it may be worth sharing what I learned and what happened. I had an excellent talk with Micah of Apple Support, who laid out three different ways we might go about transferring data to the new laptop and — to my surprise and pleasure — offered to stay on the phone with me for awhile as we initiated the recommended approach, to be reasonably sure it was working before we parted company.

To my surprise, the recommended Plan 1 was to connect the two computers using WiFi with both computers in normal mode, even though my experience had been that the old one pretty much lost its Internet connection only 5 minutes or so after being booted in normal mode. Micah's point was that Migration Assistant shuts down other software and there was reason to believe (at least hope) that might avoid my problem, since we knew it went away in Safe Mode when some software is disabled. A fallback Plan 3 — thought to be OK, but a bit uncertain for us both — if Plan 1 failed for loss of connection, would have been to boot the old laptop in Safe Mode.

Plan 2 was to purchase a new Thunderbolt 2 cable and a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter and connect the two computers by cable. In retrospect, this probably would have made the transfer quicker than it turned out to be, but would have required spending ~$100 for a one-time use cable and waiting several days for it to arrive.

As it turned out, Plan 1 — WiFi, normal mode — worked, though very slowly. The two machines never lost connection, but steadily transferred data at rates only ranging from 17-36 Mbps. (At the same time, my iPhone measured the WiFi connection as capable of handling over 400 Mbps. The new laptop actually had a message saying things might go faster by cable.) So, starting late one afternoon, it required waiting overnight for the process to complete — but complete it did. And Migration Assistant made the getting connected process easier than I had expected — e.g., I didn't have to tell it where to find a WiFi connection, it immediately showed me the available options and all I had to do was provide a login password for that.

Before claiming the entire process of migrating to the new laptop is complete, I've still got a couple of applications to wrestle with — licensed on the old machine, but their licenses are not recognized on the new one — and my Time Capsule for some reason refuses to connect to the new laptop. Frustrating issues, to be sure, but they are different and separate from my big data transfer issue and question raised here. Migration Assistant and a pleasant, helpful, and caring Apple Support representative got that problem resolved. Thank you to both!

Jan 9, 2021 9:23 AM in response to Tom Altman

Hey there Tom,

We'd like to help with both issues, starting with setting up your new MacBook Pro.

While it's recommended to use Migration Assistant wirelessly while starting both up normally, we wanted to make sure you have the steps for using Migration Assistant here: Move your content to a new Mac

We also wanted to provide the steps to Restore your Mac from a backup, as this method doesn't require Wi-Fi, but does require an external storage device for the backup itself.

If you need more help, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support here: Get Support

Take care!

Can I safely transfer information to a new Mac using Safe Mode on my old one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.