You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Certain key on keyboard (numpad 4) doesn't work

I've done research and can't find any answer, I hope you guys can help.

I have a Mac Mini 2012 on Mojave, and I've been using a 3rd party USB keyboard.

I just recently noticed that the number 4 key on the numpad doesn't work, so I just thought that it was time to replace the keyboard. So I did. It still didn't work.

I pulled up the keyboard viewer, and I also noticed that I couldn't press on the 4 key on the on screen numpad with the mouse. That's the only key doesn't work.

I discovered that I could only press it both onscreen and on the keyboard by pressing any modifier key with it.

I've checked all the sticky key/accessbility stuff, reset the pram, etc., to no success.

Does anybody know what this could be? Thanks!

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 6:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 10:59 AM

Hello alanparma,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your number 4 key is not working on your Mac mini.

Although it doesn't sound like this impacts other keys and numbers we would recommend starting with the troubleshooting from If a numeric keypad doesn’t work on Mac.

Next, check to see if you have any Accessibility options enabled and test with them disabled if possible. Check out Use the Accessibility Options panel on Mac.

If the same happens or if you did not have any Accessibility features enabled, try using your keyboard in another user account and see if the same thing happens. If you do not already have another user account, you can set up another using the guidance from Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 9, 2021 10:59 AM in response to alanparma

Hello alanparma,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your number 4 key is not working on your Mac mini.

Although it doesn't sound like this impacts other keys and numbers we would recommend starting with the troubleshooting from If a numeric keypad doesn’t work on Mac.

Next, check to see if you have any Accessibility options enabled and test with them disabled if possible. Check out Use the Accessibility Options panel on Mac.

If the same happens or if you did not have any Accessibility features enabled, try using your keyboard in another user account and see if the same thing happens. If you do not already have another user account, you can set up another using the guidance from Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

Have a great day!

Jan 12, 2021 12:37 PM in response to alanparma

Hey Alanparma,

Since this does not occur in another user account that may mean there is an issue with a login item. We recommend removing those from the user account that is having issues, then testing again. Find those by going to Apple menu > System Preferences, click Users & Groups, selecting your user name, then clicking Login Items at the top of the Window. Remove all Login Items, then check to see if the same thing occurs. If this resolves the issue, you can then add one login item back at a time and see which one impacts your keyboard performance.

Thanks!

Certain key on keyboard (numpad 4) doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.