You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover deleted iMessage thread

I accidentally deleted an iMessage thread on my iPhone. However, it still exists on my iPad. How can I copy this back to my iPhone?

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 11:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 12:38 PM

Your post tells me that you do not use iCloud for Messages. You do, however, have text message forwarding setup to your iPad. You are not going to be able to move the entire thread from your iPad to your iPhone.

Do you create backups of your iPhone routinely? Do you have a backup file created of your iPhone with that text thread in it? IF the answers to both of the questions is a YES then you can restore your iPhone from that backup and recover the text message. If there are no backups to restore from then you will have lost that text thread from your iPhone.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 10, 2021 12:38 PM in response to Kevin Brumfield

Your post tells me that you do not use iCloud for Messages. You do, however, have text message forwarding setup to your iPad. You are not going to be able to move the entire thread from your iPad to your iPhone.

Do you create backups of your iPhone routinely? Do you have a backup file created of your iPhone with that text thread in it? IF the answers to both of the questions is a YES then you can restore your iPhone from that backup and recover the text message. If there are no backups to restore from then you will have lost that text thread from your iPhone.

Axel F.

Recover deleted iMessage thread

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.