You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you apply "Keep Folder Structure" after the fact?

After importing several thousand photos from different drives, I noticed that there is now a feature in Photos. It's a checkbox: "Keep folder organization". Of course, I haven't checked the box. : ( Is there a way to apply the folder structure after the fact? Or will I have to delete all those imports and reimport them with the box checked?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 11:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 12:17 AM

The ""Apply folder structure" is only effective while importing. So you would have to import the photos again to use it.

It is quite useful. If you import several nested folders of photos at once, Photos will create an album for each folder at the bottom level of the folders containing image files or videos, and folders for each folder containing nested folders. But the implementation of "Keep folder structure" is a bit strange. It will create an additional folder enclosing the imported folders. You will probably need some additional work to move the imported folders out of the additional enclosing folder.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 12, 2021 12:17 AM in response to youngmic

The ""Apply folder structure" is only effective while importing. So you would have to import the photos again to use it.

It is quite useful. If you import several nested folders of photos at once, Photos will create an album for each folder at the bottom level of the folders containing image files or videos, and folders for each folder containing nested folders. But the implementation of "Keep folder structure" is a bit strange. It will create an additional folder enclosing the imported folders. You will probably need some additional work to move the imported folders out of the additional enclosing folder.

Can you apply "Keep Folder Structure" after the fact?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.