You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing Zoom style multi-camera splits

Hi

I am editing a series of interview recorded on Zoom, I basically have separate video files for the local & remote presenter, a wide shot of each with their laptop.

I'd like to set this up as a multi-camera clip with 5 possible angles - either presenter full screen, either wide shot (all that is easy...) or an edited shot with the two presenters side by side.

I can set this up by duplicating the Multicam clip in the timeline, changing the angles and trimming / transforming, but this takes time... or I can render the whole interview in an edited format side by side, export it and re-import it as one Multicam angle.. but this also takes time and disk space.

Is there a better way of doing this? I'm assuming I can't open a 'timeline' for a single multi camera angle and import two original source files that are already in the project, but trimmed & place differently? Cruically I'd need to use two source files in the same Multicam shot.

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 4:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 9:02 AM

Here is what I'd do:

1) Make an edit of the two presenters side by side. Adjust everything the way you like it.

2) Either turn that into a compound clip, or export it and reimport as a single video

3) Make the multicam with the 5 angles and edit away.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 13, 2021 9:53 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I didn't realise you could import a compound clip as a Multicam angle, I'll give that a try.

If that works that could be my way forward, as I'd really rather keep everything in software in case anyone wants to edit something like the split afterwards, ie change the branding behind etc, without having to bounce out and back in again. Some of these presentations are over an hour long too so anything I can do to avoid more files....

Jan 13, 2021 2:09 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks this worked great for me. I had a bit of a mess at first because I'd used the main Multicam clip to join together some clips, then used these in the compound, and it won't let you drag a compound that uses a Multicam angle back into the parent Multicam. I changed all my jointed clips to Synchronised clips to the audio track (which runs throughout) and everything is good.

I have some terrible audio drift across the project as they're hour long clips including some at 30.3FPS but that's another problem...

Editing Zoom style multi-camera splits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.