You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone thinks my bluetooth speaker is headphones

Hello everyone.

iPhone 8 thinks my car Bluetooth is headphones and I keep getting the sound limited. I cannot turn off the limiter as I am in the EU.

how can I let my phone it is not headphones but a speaker?

very frustrating as I have to grab phone while driving to turn the sound back up. Very dangerous.

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 10:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 4:31 AM

Hi,

I had the exact same problem until today when I've come across your post and tried the recommendations from the other replies with no success. I accidentally came across the solution:

1. Go to settings
  2. Bluetooth
  3. Press the 'i' symbol next to your cars Bluetooth connection (you don't have to be connected to it to do this)
  4. Then press 'Device Type' and Select 'Car Stereo'
  5. This should stop your phone thinking your car is a set of headphones and reducing the volume!

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 5, 2021 4:31 AM in response to zz9

Hi,

I had the exact same problem until today when I've come across your post and tried the recommendations from the other replies with no success. I accidentally came across the solution:

1. Go to settings
  2. Bluetooth
  3. Press the 'i' symbol next to your cars Bluetooth connection (you don't have to be connected to it to do this)
  4. Then press 'Device Type' and Select 'Car Stereo'
  5. This should stop your phone thinking your car is a set of headphones and reducing the volume!

Jan 15, 2021 11:27 AM in response to MoonJ.

Hello MoonJ,

thank you for replying, appreciated. However is there a way I can tell my iPhone it is a car connection NOT a set of headphones? It’s very frustrating.

I have to have the iPhone volume full up for the speaker to function satisfactory. If my iPhone is turned down I have to have the car volume set to full and it is deafening when the speaker disconnects if I switch the engine off or decide I want to switch to the car FM radio.

the iPhone may be a smart phone but this feature is not very smart.

Jan 17, 2021 1:02 PM in response to zz9

Hello zz9, 

Thanks for contacting us back.

Depending on your region, you can try and turn off headphone notifications. "1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPod touch. 2. Tap Sounds & Haptics, then tap Headphone Safety. 3. Turn Headphone Notifications on or off. You can also turn on Reduce Loud Sounds to automatically lower your headphone volume when it exceeds your set decibel level."

You can also send feedback about this feature:

iPhone Feedback

Enjoy your weekend.

Feb 14, 2021 10:03 AM in response to WManners

This is very helpful beause I have a Bluetooth-to-FM converter for my automobile. There was a device type setting for this particular device. Unfortunately, there was no device type selection for two Jensen CD-555 devices which I use as bluetooth speakers. Perhaps the devices are too old to have this feature.

Thanks again, it was nearly impossible to follow dialog in audio performances in my car because of this annoying volume-limiting feature. I am VERY careful about my hearing but a system that cannot distinguish headphones from speakers is helping no one.

Jan 15, 2021 10:30 AM in response to zz9

Hello zz9,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand that your iPhone 8 thinks your car's Bluetooth is a headphone and the volume gets limited. We're happy to help. Have you received any alerts about your volume? If you have, this may be caused by headphone notifications. "These notifications give you more awareness around your listening habits to help you protect your hearing. When you receive a notification, you’ll hear a chime, and your volume will turn down automatically."

Check out the following support articles:

Adjust the volume on iPhone

Headphone notifications on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple Watch

In some countries you can't disable this warning. See the section, "Turn headphone notifications on or off."

Cheers!

Jan 24, 2021 5:51 AM in response to SnickZ.

Hello, i have the same problem, I'm from poland and i can't disable those frustrating notifications, my speaker volume keeps getting turned down because my phone thinks the speaker is headphones (the little headphones logo appears). It is so annoying because just turning up speaker volume and not iphone volume decreases the quality of audio. You (apple) implemented the function to chooes wether the lighning adapter is headphones or speaker but you don't have this function for bluetooth when my phone missmatches speaker for headphones. Also I think that feature where you phone thinks is smarter than you and turns your volume down for you is just so mindbogglingly stupid I can't wrap my head around it. I have this problem with two bluetooth devices and practically i can't use them because of this "feature".

iphone thinks my bluetooth speaker is headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.