You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDFs won't open after updating to OS Big Sur

I had problems with my MacBook Air and rebooted the lot following Apple Support's advice (over the phone). Since then, I have been unable to open my PDFs; Word, XLS and other Office documents. I did buy the Office suite for Macs on the old version but do I need to purchase new ones?

What if I just want to read my pdfs and word documents etc?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 7:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 7:51 AM

Your older Office-version is probably 32-bits and doesn’t work on Big Sur.

You have 3 options:

• buy a new version (e.g. Microsoft 365)
  • use Apple’s own Pages, Numbers and Keynotes. These apps are already on your Mac but possibly don’t match with all your needs
  • download the free Office Libre for Mac. It works fine together with Office-files. You can open them, work on them and save them. To let this happen automatically: after dowloading and installing, right-click on e.g. one Word doc. Left-click on Get info. In the new window, Look at Open with and select LibreOffice. On the same window, click on the button Change all

about Pdf- files: Open them with Apple’s own PreView: also already on your Mac

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 14, 2021 7:51 AM in response to DebtheHen

Your older Office-version is probably 32-bits and doesn’t work on Big Sur.

You have 3 options:

• buy a new version (e.g. Microsoft 365)
  • use Apple’s own Pages, Numbers and Keynotes. These apps are already on your Mac but possibly don’t match with all your needs
  • download the free Office Libre for Mac. It works fine together with Office-files. You can open them, work on them and save them. To let this happen automatically: after dowloading and installing, right-click on e.g. one Word doc. Left-click on Get info. In the new window, Look at Open with and select LibreOffice. On the same window, click on the button Change all

about Pdf- files: Open them with Apple’s own PreView: also already on your Mac

PDFs won't open after updating to OS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.