You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't rearrange items in Dock using Big Sur

I am unable to rearrange items in the Dock. I am using Big Sur on a MacBook Pro and also on an iMac.

Control clicking and dragging does not work, nor does using Launchpad (someone previously suggested that approach), nor does anything else that I have tried so far.

Has the ability to rearrange items in the Dock been deliberately removed by Apple, or is this a bug, or am I somehow missing the right way to do it?

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 1:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 1:55 PM

Works fine for me, just click on an app and drag it. If you click and hold for too long (i.e. if the popup appears), then you cannot move it. Same if you force-click. But a quick click and drag should do it.

3 replies

Jan 15, 2021 1:56 PM in response to rdfuhr

Oddly enough, I have tried it again, just by clicking and holding the icon for the app in the Dock, and now I can move a Dock item. But it seems quite touchy; sometimes I click and hold the icon and am unable to move it; other times I can. So, while I am now able to accomplish the task, it is puzzling why the functionality is so unreliable. Any thoughts on this?

Can't rearrange items in Dock using Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.