You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error: Content relocation could not be completed

Unable to move Sound Library to an external drive. Instructions from support.apple.com is not working.

I did the following and issue continues:

HDD formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled)

Logged in as administrator

Removed and reinstalled Logic Pro

Logic Pro has Full Disk Access

Delete previous Logic Pro library

Restart computer and Logic Pro when performing the above task.

The sound library hasn't been fully installed. I'm only moving 1.43GB of content. The external HDD has over 300GB of free space.

Has Apple suspended or terminated the feature?

Attached are screenshots showing everything is in place.

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 4:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 2:57 PM

I had an issue with Logic Pro X. 

That issue was relocating the Logic’s sound library to an external drive. I tired everything before coming to the simple solution…. and I feel.

Here are the current instructions from Apple and mostly everywhere else if you see this Error: content relocation could not be completed

Give Logic Pro access to your external drive

If you get an error that says content can't be relocated, give Logic Pro access to your external drive.

Quit Logic Pro.

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Security and Privacy, then click Privacy.

Click the lock button  to make changes. 

In the left column, click Full Disk Access, then select the checkbox next to Logic Pro in the application window on the right.

For some reason the above settings were already in place. So I did not following:

Deleted and reinstalled Logic Pro

Moved the Sound Library

Contact Apple Support. (Help desk advise me to install the entire library. I know what I was being told was BS).

made sure Logic Pro had disk access

I copied Logic Pro 10.5.1 to my computer running 10.15.7, changed the file name of Logic Pro to Logic 10.5.1, opened the app. From there I started the relocation process again. And what you know… it WORKS !

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 16, 2021 2:57 PM in response to k.johnson

I had an issue with Logic Pro X. 

That issue was relocating the Logic’s sound library to an external drive. I tired everything before coming to the simple solution…. and I feel.

Here are the current instructions from Apple and mostly everywhere else if you see this Error: content relocation could not be completed

Give Logic Pro access to your external drive

If you get an error that says content can't be relocated, give Logic Pro access to your external drive.

Quit Logic Pro.

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Security and Privacy, then click Privacy.

Click the lock button  to make changes. 

In the left column, click Full Disk Access, then select the checkbox next to Logic Pro in the application window on the right.

For some reason the above settings were already in place. So I did not following:

Deleted and reinstalled Logic Pro

Moved the Sound Library

Contact Apple Support. (Help desk advise me to install the entire library. I know what I was being told was BS).

made sure Logic Pro had disk access

I copied Logic Pro 10.5.1 to my computer running 10.15.7, changed the file name of Logic Pro to Logic 10.5.1, opened the app. From there I started the relocation process again. And what you know… it WORKS !

Error: Content relocation could not be completed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.