You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering OS/ Disk's after using 'Find My' to delete all files.

Hello,

The other day I thought my Macbook Pro was stolen so I went to the 'Find My' app and performed the mass delete of everything on the disk to protect my files on the computer from being stolen.

We ended up finding the Macbook and we are now trying to recover it from the boot menu but I'm not sure what order I am supposed to go in. We never did the Time Machine Backup so I understand the files I had are gone forever. The problem I'm having is that when I click 'Reinstall OS X' it says there is no disk to download to. When I go to the disk utility I can see the OS Disk on the bottom of the left side and the SSD on the top of the left side. Both have a 'sub disk' beneath that has a much more specific name like 'disk0' etc.

Can you please guide me through the steps to recover the disks and reinstall the OS?

Thank you,

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 8:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 9:01 PM

Shane_Short wrote:

Hello,

The other day I thought my Macbook Pro was stolen so I went to the 'Find My' app and performed the mass delete of everything on the disk to protect my files on the computer from being stolen.

We ended up finding the Macbook and we are now trying to recover it from the boot menu but I'm not sure what order I am supposed to go in. We never did the Time Machine Backup so I understand the files I had are gone forever. The problem I'm having is that when I click 'Reinstall OS X' it says there is no disk to download to. When I go to the disk utility I can see the OS Disk on the bottom of the left side and the SSD on the top of the left side. Both have a 'sub disk' beneath that has a much more specific name like 'disk0' etc.

Can you please guide me through the steps to recover the disks and reinstall the OS?

Thank you,

you erase/reformat and install onto the the parent Drive

From Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices

The parent Drive this is the top most in the Device tree, not the Container or associated child Volumes

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2021 9:01 PM in response to Shane_Short

Shane_Short wrote:

Hello,

Thank you,

you erase/reformat and install onto the the parent Drive

From Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices

The parent Drive this is the top most in the Device tree, not the Container or associated child Volumes

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Recovering OS/ Disk's after using 'Find My' to delete all files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.